Thursday, June 11, 2009

NoStALGiA

Every time I walk by the lanes of my alma mater I feel more and more detached from it. It surprises me that how quick things change. Hardly two years ago, this place belonged to me or rather i belonged to it. But now, I no more feel a part of it. Though sometimes memories flash by but with time even they fade away.
With time everything changes but the most amazing thing is that a few people always remember you. These are the people who deal with more students than any teacher would ever in their lives. They are the only constant factor of every college – students come & go, teachers move on but these men are there forever. They may not remember our names but they always remember us. We never exchange any words with them but they are always right there to help.
They are the unsung heroes of every institution – the back bone of our education. But all through our college lives we hardly ever acknowledge them - they are powerful but mostly at the clerical level.
I am speaking about the people who sit at the reception, who are your college guards or your canteen wala chotus...
Today, I had gone to college to collect some documents .Guess what? My work got finished in just 15 minutes because Mumtaj bhai, a helper in the office had already prepared my required documents and I had requested him only once over the phone )
Its hard to remember how many times I ever had a word with him without any personal agenda and today how willingly he helped me out without any self interest. The most moving part is when I said thanks to him (Mumtaj bhai) & he replied vehemently “nai nai koi aur kaam ho to phir batayiega ,thanks kehne ki koi zarorat nai ye toh mera farz tha.”
It touched my heart so much that it compelled me to write this tribute to all the reception wale bhaiyas , guard bhaiyas and to all the canteen wallah chotus.
You complete our life in college days . You always help us in every nitty-gritty.. You fulfill our attendance registers by filling it. You are always there. We may never say, or realize but without you people our life would be quite incomplete”

No comments:

Post a Comment